Monday, November 22, 2010

Bag Wars

So with the release of The Shattering this week comes another great opportunity to make some gold, a LOT of gold. Armies of alts will soon be pouring into the auction houses in the first few days to grab their levelling supplies.

I'm one of these people myself, I personally can't wait to roll out a Gnome Priest and check out the all new 1-60 levelling experience, but just like the release of a new expansion, the starting areas are going to be a wash with players ravenous to get levelling. So instead of diving straight into the grind I think I will hold off for the first day or two and get comfortable in the auction house.

Low level Potions, Elixirs and Food are all going to sell very well I think, but the biggest market is going to be without a doubt, bags, namely Netherweave Bag's. This is my chosen target market and competition will be fierce, but I'm confident I will do well.

I've been stocking the materials needed for the the bags for about 3 weeks now and currently have in the region of 800 to sell. Nertherweave Cloth on my realm has a steady supply and I've been picking up stacks of it for between 2g-4g and crafting them into the bolts needed for the recipe. These bags sell regularly on this realm for anything between 5-9g. Not a lot of people sell them because they think the profits are to small, however I expect the prices to jump close to the 20g mark for a bag come The Shattering and with a character usually taking between 4-8 bags this should yield some hefty profits.

You could stop there and fight the competition, but a touch of market control for the materials needed to make these bags might eliminate competition even further, and this is something I'm going to have a play with in these first couple of days. I will be keeping a close eye on the Netherweave Cloth market and making sure the prices remain high and also ensuring any left over cheap bags from the night before are bought out. I feel like such a bady!

Good Luck to anyone doing something similar and feel free to share your Shattering auction house ventures in the comments section below.

Pan

1 comment:

NYMeatball said...

I know this is 12th hour style suggestions, but just to add to your comments - for situations like this where the item in question takes a massive amount of crafting time - bags in this instance are 20 seconds each I believe?

It's definitely a good idea to "pre-craft" in advance if you can manage the space. Obviously long, long term, and on large scales, you want 1000 bags in the form of 200 stacks of netherweave bolts, and not 1000 "stacks" of bags. But short term, unless you have a dedicated 2nd account for crafting, I'd make as many of these as you can stomach the night before.

With the potential for demand on these to be as big as they've ever been (until we see worgen and goblins), you might literally run into a situation tomorrow where you can't make them fast enough. Selling more than 3 bags per minute? It honestly could happen, if your server wasn't prepared.

Something to keep in mind, not only for tomorrow, but for December 7th as well.